3D printing and modding the Moby iPhone 7 stand

I recently stumbled across this nice Moby iPhone stand on Thingiverse. One of the very first things I printed in my 3D printer was an iPhone stand.

Being one of my early attempts, it was workable, but not very polished. It has a bit of a warp in it because I was not very good at bed adhesion yet, and it’s printed with transparent filament. Note: transparent filament SEEMS cool, but it doesn’t make very attractive pieces in practice. I use that transparent spool for “working” pieces which won’t really ever be seen my anyone but me.

Back to Moby. There are two STL files for download. One fits the iPhone sans case, the other has a thicker notch to accommodate a case. I chose the thicker one for my iPhone 7. I have this case and it fits nicely into the thicker Moby.

This is a dense piece and can take a long time to print. I’m not really invested in it from just the picture, so I didn’t want to spend days printing it. Therefore, I selected a moderate layer height of 0.0875mm on my Monoprice Mini Select V2. I also chose only 20% fill. Even with those fairly rough settings it took about 6 hours to print, but it turned out pretty well.

Once it was complete I noted that the hole for the charger was not big enough to actually fit the charger through. That kind of makes sense because if the charger flowed freely that would mean it would also just drop down the hole when I pushed my phone into place. To get it working I had to drill out the hole just a little bit. Once I was able to force the cable through, I stopped drilling.

I then plugged my phone into the charger that was running through the stand and sat it properly into the stand. That showed me how high the charger had to be in order to work properly. I recommend this step because every case is going to add a different amount of height to your phone so there is no magic measurement that will work for everyone.

I then used a hot glue gun to glue the charger head in place, as well as to glue the cable into the bottom channel.

At that point the case basically worked but it wobbled a bit. It wobbled because the charging cable can’t quite make the 90 degree turn from the bottom channel up through the hole to come out the top. It sticks out a bit at that spot which causes a wobble.

My options were to continue to fight with the cable, drill the hole out more to provide a gentler angle, or do what every normal 3D printer owner does – manufacture a solution. I chose option C and created a set of tiny feet for the stand and printed them out in white to give some contrast.

The feet are about 4mm which is high enough that the cable no longer touches the desk. Ergo; no more wobble.

And added advantage this stand has over my last one is that I can unlock it in the stand. My previous stand came too close to the Touch ID so It wasn’t able to read my fingerprint properly. This stand has no such issues which makes it a lot more practical.

Now the real test – using it. Nothing highlights problems and design flaws better than the first few days of use. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out right now.